From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:26:04 -0400

Lipton's makes a selection of kosher soup & dip mix which are dairy
free. They will only be available in a kosher food section of a grocery
store and possibly only in a community with a larger Jewish population.
One of them is a Ranch mix which had no ingredients that indicated it
contained gluten, just ingredients that are in the category of need to
be verified they don't have gluten (ie spices, natural flavorings, etc).

I contacted Lipton's, which is owned by Unilever and was told the
following--they list the top 8 allergens plus gluten (ie rye, barley,
oats with wheat being one of the top 8 allergens), they do NOT make a
list of products that are gf since ingredients can change and so we need
to read the ingredients each time you buy one of their products to
determine if it is still gf. They did not have any information about
cross contamination issues. So the bottom line for Unilever food
products is that each person has to make an individual determination
about whether they will use an product.

I plan on trying this mix to make a low fat, dairy free Ranch dressing
(although it will be higher in sodium than I would wish) using Smart
Beat mayonnaise (I plan on diluting it with 1/3 cup water & 1/3 cup
vinegar plus 1/2 an envelope of the Ranch mix).

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD