From:
Brie Anne Hoblin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brie Anne Hoblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 10:46:24 -0700

Thank you to so many for responding. It made me feel
less alone. It helps to know that so many other people
with celiac's face similar situations.

  About the heart beat irregularity. I think eight
other people have experienced that. Some said it was
probably a vagal nerve response. The vagus nerve runs
up your abdomen and when there is a lot pressure on
it...from diarrhea or gas...it can cause a vagal nerve
response. I have had a vagal nerve reaction before
during minor surgery. This reaction includes nausea,
numbness or tingling in your feet or hands, irregular
heart beat, fast heartbeat, feeling like you are going
to pass out, or sometimes actually passing out.

  The other thing that people said was that after
having diarrhea your body is low in potassium, which
can cause irregular heartbeat. One woman has had to go
to the emergency room after having a celiac attack and
it turned out to be dehydration and low levels of
potassium. A lot of people did also suggest drinking
lots of water. Amen to that!

  Thank you everyone for writing to me. I cannot
express how much it helped. I now have to courage to
call the restaurant later today and at least tell them
what happened...although I don't know if I'll have the
guts to point out how ineresting it would have been if
an ambulance had had to come get me (as one person
suggested)...on second thought...maybe I will.

  I am also going out to buy bananas (for potassium),
and to see if I can find veratras album, which many
people suggested because it helps calm down the
attacks.

  My gratitude to you all,
Brie/VT (feeling better today)