From:
Ned Berube <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ned Berube <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:36:38 -0400

Hello,

I thought those of you thinking of visiting the U.K. and concerned about being able to get good GF food would be interested in the places my wife (diagnosed celiac) and I visited in May. I send this along because the staffs at the various places made a special effort to provide my wife with excellent food. I'll only comment on the food and not the hotels/inns or their surroundings. All the settings were beautiful in their way, and we were lucky to have seven days of clear weather -- we're told a record in Scotland.

We have no financial interest in any of these places.

Dale Head Hall, Thirlmere, Lake District -- e-mail: Dale-head-hall.co.uk -- staff were very knowledgeable  and solicitous of the coeliac condition, cautioning away from any dish that might have gluten; food was excellent.

Kilcamb Lodge, Strontian, Scotland -- e-mail:Kilcamblodge.com -- staff knowledgable and understanding; food was very good.

Greshornish Hotel, Greshornish, Isle of Skye, Scotland -- e-mail: Greshornishhotel.demon.co.uk; staff knowledgable and solicitous; food was excellent.

Ardsheal House, Appin, Argyll, Scotland -- e-mail: Ardsheal.co.uk -- this is now a B&B, but the host and hostess were knowledgable of coeliac and served excellent GF breakfasts, the oatmeal porridge is excellent, for those of you who can tolerate oats.

Ballachulish House Hotel , Ballachulish, Argyll, Scotland -- we didn't stay here, but had a superb dinner at the Ballachulish which is just down the road from the Ardsheal House. Although a bit pricey, they served a five course dinner which was five-star.  They even made special exquisite canapes' for my wife, and were most knowledgable of a coeliac's dietary restrictions. Highly recommend.

Riber Hall, Matlock, Derbyshire, England -- e-mail: Riber Hall__enquiries#grandheritage.com. Very good food; staff knowledgable of coeliac dietary restrictions.

Regards,

Ned.

P.S. To show you how GF-savvy the U.K. is, we stopped at a small campground grocery in the Strontian area on a single-track road that ran along the loch to see if we could find some munchies for my wife. As we looked through the rather sparse rack of goodies, I spied a box of Nairn's Rough Oat Cakes, "wheat free, no added sugar, high fibre." They actually taste better than they sound, even better than those made with wheat flour. We also found these oat cakes in a large grocery in Matlock and brought back a half-dozen boxes or so.