From:
Melanie Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melanie Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:13:09 -0700

My 12 yr old daughter has been out of school since Jan, and was out most of the time prior to that since mid-Nov.  She has been experiencing severe headaches, nausea, and stomach aches.  She's been working with a homebound tutor to keep up with school work.  She is a Celiac, but blood tests and endoscopies continue to verify that she is gluten-free, and has been for well over a year.  Prior to her diagnosis she never had gastric symptoms, but her growth had been arrested.

In a nutshell, we have been to the pediatrician, neurologist, gastrointerologist, allergist, acupuncturist, herbalist, therapist, endocrinologist, orthodontist ... the list goes on.  She has had multiple blood tests, an MRI, endoscopy, CT scan of her sinuses, ultrasound of her abdomen, etc.  Her diagnosis is migraine by process of elimination and she has tried several migraine meds (Elavil, Periactin, Motrin, Depakote), but nothing has helped yet.  She has also tried biofeedback with limited success.

Do any of you have similar experiences?  Even though the tests say she is gluten-free and her doctors don't feel these problems are due to Celiac, I'm still wondering.  I'm willing to try anything that is not dangerous, and would appreciate your thoughts and wisdom on this.

Thanks!

Melanie Neal