From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:40:27 -0700
what seeds ? I am looking into having chickens now and procrastinate about
>it because i want to find a source of good organic  whole seeds . do they
>like lentils ? peas ? when i had them in the past i was sprouting local oats
>and barley for them .a friend tried to quit supplementing them and they were
>producing very little eggs.
>I saw somewhere also that grains were disturbing their hormonal balance and
>was the reason they were producing lot of eggs . so it looks to me that
>aiming at a big quantity of eggs is not healthy for us to eat them .
>
>will rather not having to buy feed and harvest little . do you know of a
>breed that can forage very well on their own ?
>jean-claude

I'm not feeding particularly organic. Right now they're eating whole oats
and sunflower seeds. When I get to the good feed store, I'll get more
variety. They refuse to eat scratch, wich is corn, wheat, and milo. But it
is difficult to find much of anything in bulk that is good for them.
Millet, barley, sunflower, might be some things to try. I have avoided
legumes as well for them. They do devour fresh corn, which I sometimes get
free.

Their egg production has gone down a lot this year, and I am wondering if
they are just over the hill. I wormed them with an allopathic wormer, but
so far there is no change. I wonder if the lack of bad grains is the
culprit...

Here is a page that will get you to almost anything you want about chickens:

www.feathersite.com

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!