From:
"C. ten Broeke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:21:50 +0200
The Lucey-Weinhold Family wrote:

>>A friend of my son who ate Paleo for 3 months stopped when everybody
>>around him called him slow.
>>

>This "ADD and diet" thread fascinates me.

Well, Jeroen as he's called, loved being on the Paleo at first. He could
feel his body getting cleaner and function better. He very quickly came
out of his hypermoods and became more manageable.  His normal status is
one that anyone can stand for half an hour then people are just worn
out. He stopped drinking alcohol which was part of his SAD as well.  He
was 18 at the time and about to take his final exams. He noticed the
changes in his behaviour and found himself more lucid as well.
He was however tired in the evening, something he normally didn't feel.
Instead of juggling both school, scouting, two jobs and a social life he
could no longer do all of that. His parents found him too slow (though
mentally he noticed absolutely no change for the worse when it came to
learning) and insisted he'd give up the Paleo-lifestyle. His mother's a
vegetarian and she was sure all that meat was no good for him.
In the end he gave in to his parents and peerpressure and got deaddrunk
that night from 2 beers only.
He did have anxiety-attacks before Paleo, not during Paleo and full
blown afterwards. They were induced by the use of mariuhana (he is one
of those that can go into a psychosis from any type of mind-altering
substance) and stopped smoking alltogether.  He had to go on
anti-depressents to be able to function.
Now this youngman, who we all love to bits, is as strong as an ox, the
type of HG anyone would want in their tribe. Knows about nature, edible
plants, how animals live, the works. In the time he ate Paleo he was
full of plans, great view at the future and then he stopped...
Went to college, gave that up after a year, worked now on and off for
the last year and will go back to  college in september.  As he has
moved out of the house I'll try and have a talk with him about his
feedinghabits. Perhaps he'd like to start again and get the chance to
explore who he really is without chemicals altering and obscuring him.

My son Arik was at first reluctant to start Paleo again and is now it's
biggest defender. I cook him breakfast every day and prepare his lunch
for work but he'd not give it up if he had to do it al lhimself.  When I
was away for a few days to a festival he did very well buying salades
etc to take along to work.  He works fulltime so hardly any time left
for shopping etc but even when he goes out with friends he stays good.
Take nibbles along like nuts or jerky.
He does however like a drink and switched from beer to wine. Fine by me
as long as he doesn't get legless (he doesn't) ;-)

Christy