From:
Phosphor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:49:52 +1000
thenaks for the tip. this is quite interesting, seems the liver disfunction
allows increased flow of neurotoxins into the brain. makes you wonder if
this is happening in ADD or mood swings on a milder scale.  chinese always
say to boost liver function:

One theory [in hepatic encephalopathy] is that patients develop an
alteration of the brain energy metabolism accompanied with increased
permeability of the blood-brain barrier. The latter may facilitate the
passage of neurotoxins into the brain. Putative neurotoxins include
short-chain fatty acids; mercaptans; false neurotransmitters such as
tyramine, octopamine, and beta-phenylethanolamines; ammonia; and
gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA).

andrew