AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Felix Ossia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 17:37:08 -0600
My Popularity Could Kill Me- Weah

George Weah is in fear of his life after becoming a target for supporters of
Liberia president Charles Taylor. "I don't want somebody to come and kill me
because of my popularity," said the former AC Milan star. "They have already
burnt my house down."

The former World Footballer of the Year has vowed to never represent his
country again after the African Nations Cup. He believes he is being
victimised because of the good relations he enjoyed with former president
Samuel Doe.

"Football has gone into politics and I don't want to be part of the
politics," said the 35-year-old. "The president of Liberia is against us.
The government is against us. They are jealous of us."

The striker - who doubles as Liberia's technical director - said his
property had been attacked and businesses repossessed because of the
vendetta.

"I don't want something to happen to me before my children grow up. I'm
afraid. I don't feel safe," Weah told AFP. "Doe was comfortable with my
popularity, so he helped me a lot to build up a team - but Taylor doesn't
want to accept that I am popular.

"He thinks that I want to be president."

Weah started his career under Arsene Wenger at Monaco in the early 1990s
before glorious spells with Paris Saint-Germain and AC Milan.

He went on to play for Chelsea, Manchester City and Marseille before signing
a two-year contract worth œ8 million with United Arab Emirates club Al
Jazirah in October.