Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:07:13 +0100
<<Any tips appreciated ...I am a previous low-carber trying to tend toward paleo now and I am having trouble converting my children's diets...>>

Lisa,
my sympathies...

don't put too much pressure on them.... upgrade the quality of the food they already like... milk --  get organic pasteurised [not homogenised]...

ice-cream -- get the best with the least ingredients preferably organic or make your own using RAW cream etc... you DO NOT have to tell them what's in the ice-cream... let their taste buds decide.

cheese --- get the best raw organic cheese... use in the same manner they have always liked ... as they say ' slowly slowly catch a monkey' :)

they don't like veg... make the veg. invisible... put all soups in food processor and use home made chicken of beef stock as a base... soups will be more nutrient dense this way... kids particularly like orange colour soups so using butternut squash, sweet potato and carrots helps... the above might not be considered paleo by some but you're on a journey... with kids and husband!... it won't happen overnight...

re spinach - hide it in burgers [home-made] make the burger look as commercial as poss. but chop a little spinach in... chances are they won't notice... later you can increase the quantity...

if they like rice... GRADUALLY!, reduce the amount of rice and add vegetables... carrots, chopped sundried tomatoes, chopped French green beans, finely chopped spinach, some herbs, pine nuts etc.to create same volume as the plain rice they're used to.... don't do it all at once... moderation and patience will win the day...

you can contact me off list for more info and recipes.
Dedy