From:
Joe Zychik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 07:55:10 -0700
--- Bruce Kleisner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> "Theola Walden Baker" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > I've read that commercial nuts are put in dryers
> to hasten the drying and
> > packaging process.  I don't know what temps they
> undergo or whether such
> > drying would be akin to light cooking, but surmise
> that this is what Kirt
> > may have in mind when he says that truly raw nuts
> are hard to find.
>
> Do you have a book, article, or link to substantiate
> that
> most nuts are dried at high temperatures

No book, but an observation.

You can buy unshelled nuts at:
http://nutsonline.com

Nutsonline.com offers unshelled walnuts and hazelnuts
in bulk at about $1.79 per pound.

Shelled cost about $3.69 per pound. Difference is
about $2.00 per pound. Either those nuts are shelled
by hand by people who have the fastest fingers in the
world, or they're shelled by some chemical, mechanical
process in a fast economical way.

When the shell is removed, the nut's protection from
harmful elements is also removed. I look at it as
removing the skin from a banana - to use a metaphor.

best,

JoeZychik