From:
Fredrik Murman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 21:04:42 -0500
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have three boys who are the furthest from paleo imaginable and a wife
>who's an on-again, off-again paleo dieter.  We are all going to eat paleo
>for the entire ten days!  I'm hoping that when their mother sees the boys'
>change in mood, concentration and general wellness, she'll never again let
>them eat Doritos and chocolate milk for lunch!

One of my two brothers, Johan, is 13. About one and a half years ago he was
a sugar addict like most kids. He had trouble understanding all my
technical jargon about refined sugar and continued to consume it, so after
a while I simply said that it's poison and he immediately stopped ingesting
it. Later I said the same short thing abo
ut other highly refined foodstuffs
and pasteurized milk, and it worked. Gradually I've been then informing him
about the paleo idea and about hunter-gatherers and the proper treatment of
seeds and the idea of whole organic foods, and the fact that many food
companies don't care about the health of their customers. I've never forced
him. He's not as paleo as I am because he eats raw milk and raw cheese and
sourdough rye bred in a regular basis. I'm satisfied with him for now since
I don't regard raw dairy from proper sources as detrimental to all people.
Neither do I view all types of grains as bad for everyone, even as an
everyday food.

My second brother is not a child. He's 28. Some time ago one of his
lymphatic glands on his neck swelled up and he was prescribed antibiotics.
I took a risk and asked him to avoid the medicine and instead cut out
pasteurized dairy, crappy bread, refined sugar and other re
fined stuff, and
even honey and maple syrup. He didn't take the medicine and got well. I
haven't asked him how much of my food advice he remembered or followed.
He's currently reading "Sugar Blues" which I recently loaned him. He's
almost done and has already seriously cut down his consumtion of refined
sugar and some other refined stuff it seems to me.

I haven't got kids yet. I hope you succeed with your kids and wife, Jim.

Fredrik