From:
Matt Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:46:59 -0500
From: "Mary"
> I stayed on nearly all meat a few years ago and I looked about 20 years
> younger!

That's interesting.  Quite a few months ago during a discussion of the acid
base balance (and the argument from some about the NEED for lots of
vegetables in the diet), there was a post  citing that Inuit women look way
older way beyond their years, the assumption being from their high meat
diet.  Well, never mind that the Inuit women should by now be adapted to
their ancestral meat diet and their bodies accommodate the protein load.  OR
that "looks" are a matter of cultural indoctrination/expectations.  Of
course the people who made these observations about the Inuit women's looks
(aargh!) were Westerners, not the Inuit themselves.  I posted that my
(former) Asian students always said that American women don't age/look old
as fast as Asian women.  <G>   These were the same Asian students who
thought Americans in general ate far too much meat.  (Ha-ha, wish they could
see me now.)

Last fall, inspired by Andrew's nearly all-meat diet, I pretty much tried it
myself.  I was consuming maybe about 5 gms of carbs a day.  It wasn't but
about 3 weeks, but it was long enough to convince me that I could live on
meat alone.  The only drawback I noticed was that it seemed I was overly
sensitive to carbs for a while after that.  Even though I generally eat
pretty l-c in general, I got a rush of water weight gain when I upped my
carbs back to my normal intake.  Had to cut back, then very gradually go up
to avoid the sluggish, bloated, yucky feeling.