Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 19:19:05 -0400
Mel Pegg wrote:

> I have just had one of my wisdom teeth taken out and after the bone
> having to be drilled and stitches, my dentist has prescribed me with a
> course of antibiotics and pain killers.
>
> I am not keen on taking any medication unless absolutely necessary,
> particularly antibiotics.

My advice: take the antibiotics!

A year ago I underwent some periodontal surgery that included extraction of
a wisdom tooth. My doc did not prescribe antibiotics, though I did not ask
him not to. I found myself a few days later in emergency care at my local
hospital with a massive and life-threatening infection of my face and head.
The emergency care physician administered antibiotics by IV drip, which
might very well have saved my life.

Infections in the head area are a very serious business. They can become
lethal by spreading to the brain.

Antibiotics are of course not paleolithic, but consider for a moment that
our paleolithic ancestors had shorter life-expectancies largely because they
were so vulnerable to infectious disease.

I think this is one case where it makes sense to avail oneself of the
miracles of modern medicine.

-gts