From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:36:23 -0700
Okay, Melinda, I have a little more time now.  I've scanned through messages
posted by others so forgive me if I tell you something for the second time.

I think you've gotten the message on fat.  Eat it guilt-free!

As far as money goes, don't forget; the average 'Mrrkn (as George W. Bush
would pernounce it) eats TONS of junk food, which does NOT come cheap!
Think back to the last time you took home Pringles, Fritos, Twinkies and
other evils.  You may well be paying no more than the rest of the pack when
you take that into consideration.

I'm a veritable bargain queen.  Most if not all major cities have one day of
the week with food ad inserts in the paper.  That's Wednesday in Denver.
They have buy one/get one free specials almost every week and often include
meats.  Find out what day this is in your town and shop accordingly.  Most
stores have a special area for reduced meats - they're getting older so
they've got to go.  I've NEVER had a problem with these meats.  I've also
found reduced produce.  If they look a little less than lovely, cook 'em up
and who'll know the difference?

It's really not that hard to cook this once you get used to it.  Sales help
here, too.  I found prepackaged salad greens, the GOOD ones, BO/GO (buy
one/get one).  I bought four, put 'em in a big Tupperware container and had
instant salad mix in a snap.  Steamed vegetables are quick and delicious.
Buy meat in bulk and freeze in smaller portions.  Like three chicken breasts
per ziplock bag.  Wrap one in foil with some spices, stick in the oven at
350 and there's most of a meal right there.  You'll learn more tricks as you
go along.

Seriously, this isn't tough.  And while it may be easier to eat meals from
boxes, you feel like sh*t when you do!  Another benefit you'll notice if you
haven't already is that you rarely if ever get sick.  The worst I've seen
over the last six years?  A head cold if you can call it that; my nose ran
and I sneezed quite a bit but no trouble breathing.  That's it!  This is
more than worth it as the payback far outweighs the effort.  Just give it
time.

And don't be afraid of the fat!!!

Dori Zook
Denver, CO