From:
Maddy Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 23:32:44 EST
In a message dated 1/24/03 12:30:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, The
Lucey-Weinhold Family <[log in to unmask]
 writes:

> So I'm casting about for clues here --- I'm most interested in finding
> out whether any of you who are celiac/gluten intolerant have found that,
> despite your strict avoidance of all offending grains (and I eat *no*
> grains whatsoever --- not even those permitted to celiac patients), you
> sometimes experience a recurrence of your symptoms, albeit in milder
> form.

I am a Celiac as well, and find the main problem with other Celiacs I know is
that their only concern seems to be whether or not a food is gluten free.
They seem to have forgotten (or never knew) that "foods" laced with corn
syrup, margarine, MSG, etc., are health destroying foods even if they contain
no gluten. In my case, I am Tyramine sensitive, and will get migraine
headaches if I indulge in more than the smallest amount of foods such as
smoked/cured meats, aged cheeses, etc., even though I remain fanatically
gluten free, and, like you, rarely ever eat any other grains at all. I think
many people who blame their symptoms on a gluten reaction may, in fact, be
reacting to other deleterious foods.

I try to eat free-range meats as much as my budget allows, but I have not
noticed any particular reactions when eating supermarket meats. Also, the
rash you describe sounds like it might be Dermatitis Herpetiformis (DH) which
is a definitive marker for Celiac Disease. I suffered from this (undiagnosed)
for about 13 years, and have had only one outbreak in the 3 years I have been
gluten free. I traced it back to an overindulgence in shrimp, and later found
out that excess amounts of iodine from seafood can sometimes trigger this
same reaction without any gluten. Moderate consumption of shrimp and other
fish has not caused this again.

So to answer your question, yes, if I get a little sloppy and find my diet
drifting away from Paleo, I'll find I just don't feel quite right. And just
eating too much food, Paleo or not, will cause a return of certain symptoms,
even when I am quite sure I am gluten free.

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY