AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Valerie Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 14:14:47 -0400
Dear Meg,

I am not thrilled with these Microsoft accessibility products.  I would much
rather see you use something like the screen enlarging and screen reading
program, Zoomtext Xtra.  This is a wonderful product.  Also, being that you
are planning on going with JAWS, you may want to go with Magic screen
enlarging software.  I am more familiar with Zoomtext Xtra, but I have heard
positive things about Magic.

The Microsoft accessibility features do not usually work for people with
disabilities.  You need to get software that is specifically designed for a
particular disability.

Also, the scanner with open book will be fine, but it does tie up a computer
if someone is just interested in scanning and reading.  I have had very
positive experiences with stand alone reading machines.  The one that we
currently have at our facility is the VERA (Very Easy Reading Appliance).
It is sold by Freedom Scientific.   We have had it for several years and we
have been happy. This allows a person to use a scanning device without
having to know how to use a computer.

Also, consider the needs of people with learning disabilities when selecting
your software.

Good Luck!

Valerie Lewis
Administrator of Outreach Services