AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hedi Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:22:10 -0600
** Visit AAM's new website! http://www.africanassociation.org **

To list-serv members:

I apologize for the confusion regarding the dates for next weeks CU
Meeting. It is November 10th....at Noon at the MG&E Building located off
of Blair st.

Also, because I receive a NUMBER of e-mails from community members to
distribute to lists, I'm considering consolidating and sending out one
at the end of the day with a list of things that people want to have
sent out versus sending each one seperately. We can try that and see how
it works - my only concern is making sure that events don't go
unnoticed. To that end, I would like to remind folks that Communities
United does have a community calendar, where events can be posted. I
will try to use that more frequently as well, when things are sent to me
to post. However, obtaining access to the calendar is possible for
anyone, including those organizations not directly linked to CU, but
still providing services to diverse communities or seeking to. (to get
signed up, e-mail me and I can take care of it for you. Thanks to Dan
Guerra at Argus Innovations for setting this up for us!)

Visit the link at http://cu.pcllc.com/

A comment was made that the next CU agenda appears to be pretty heavy.
I apologize if that is the case, however I see this as an indicator that
there are some issues facing our community that require leadership and
Communities United is in the perfect position to do so.

A reminder of our mission:

It is the mission of Communities United (CU) to serve the Madison and
Dane County community through a coalition of local civic organizations,
non-profit agencies, businesses, congregations/faith communities and
associations of individuals that provides information, education,
advocacy and technical assistance to residents and groups of the area on
issues, programs, and public policies related to their cultural, racial,
ethnic, religious, political, gender and lifestyle concerns and
interests.

We will pursue our mission by:

1) Monitoring and advocating for improved educational services and
system performance in the Madison and suburban school districts.
2) Supporting and facilitating community wide cultural competance
across all of the Madison/Dane County community,
3) Presenting Civic Forums and other events that bring community and
business leaders, candidates for public office, educators and experts
before area residents to share information, and to debate policies,
programs, plans and proposals that affect them,
4) Providing technical assistance, information,
facilitation/coordination, and education that improves knowledge and
awareness of issues and plans that affect the development and growth of
assets and positive action within and between CU constituencies,
5) Promoting networking and service opportunities for CU members,
residents and organizations through event planning, fundraising,
coordinated event calendaring and advocacy.

***
With that said, I think where we are right now, is where we are
supposed to be, yet there is certainly room for improvement. It would be
my hope that somewhere down the road, CU will have more infrastructure
in place to promote and sustain an inclusive community for all who call
Madison their home.

Peace and have a great weekend.
DON'T FORGET CELEBRITY NIGHT TONIGHT!!!
SUPPORT CALL FOR PEACE!!!