AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Munoz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:25:05 -0500
** Visit AAM's new website! http://www.africanassociation.org **

From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 5:37 PM
Subject: CCD Opposes Transition Commission: Press Release

Media Advisory
For Immediate Release

CCD Opposes Transition Commission
October 9, 2003 (Miami) - The Cuban Committee for Democracy (CCD)
stated today its opposition to the creation of a Presidential Cuba
Transition Commission, expected to be announced at a meeting of Cuban
Americans in Washington tomorrow.
"A transition commission organized by the Administration is a clear
violation of international norms and Cuban sovereignty," said Ricardo
Gonzalez, president of the CCD.  And one that includes mostly supporters
of U.S. policy "would be a laughing matter were it not for the
seriousness of the issue," he added.
The CCD believes as a matter of principle that any transition to
democracy in Cuba must come from within the Island.  "It is time to end
the embargo as a policy tool", stated Gonzalez.
"The majority of Cuban Americans support engagement with the Cuban
people and not confrontation.  At the very least, any proposed
commission should reflect the changing views of our community", he
concluded.

The CCD was founded to promote a peaceful transition to democracy in
Cuba, to advocate for a revision in US policies towards Cuba, and to
promote the democratization of politics on the island as well as within
the Cuban-American communities in the United States.

Contact:

Marlene Arzola
CCD Outreach Coordinator
Tel: 305-373-4754
email: [log in to unmask]

www.ccdusa.org
600 Brickell Ave. Suite 301 H
Miami FL 33131
Tel: 305-373-4754
Fax: 305-373-4755

LETTER TO DR. RICE

October 9, 2003

Dr. Condoleezza Rice

National Security Adviser

The White House

Washington, DC

BY FAX:  202-456-2883

Dear Dr. Rice:

 It is with sadness in my heart and worry for the future of my native
Cuba that I write to you today upon learning of the Administration's
call for a meeting of Cuban Americans to be held tomorrow in our
nation's capital.  The intent of this meeting is supposed to be a review
of U.S. Cuba policy and the creation of a Presidential Cuba Transition
Commission.

Dr. Rice, nothing would hurt a future transition to democracy in Cuba
more that such a proposal.  For one, the idea itself smacks of
interference in the internal affairs of a sovereign nation.  It also is
a violation of international norms to have one country attempt to
determine another's future without provocation.  Furthermore, it would
play directly into the hands of Fidel Castro, allowing him to wrap
himself in the Cuban flag and continue to denounce the U.S. as the enemy
of Cuba and the Cuban people.

Even the very dissidents that we wish to assist in Cuba are opposed to
our policy of embargo and isolation.  Dr. Rice, I submit to you that the
time has come to do precisely the opposite with regard to Cuba, and that
is to open up to Cuba and challenge the Cuban government to open up to
the world.

After more than forty years of a failed policy, how can anyone support
its continuation and even suggest that we "get tougher on Castro?"
Haven't we learned that this approach has been totally ineffective in
moving Cuba any closer to a democratic system?

As president of the Cuban Committee for Democracy (CCD), a Cuban
American organization with a large and varied membership committed to a
peaceful transition to democracy in Cuba, I urge you to reconsider this
so-called Transition Commission.  If anything, perhaps a commission to
arrive at a new consensus on Cuba may be in order and certainly one that
includes Cubans and Americans who represent the many voices in our
community.

Sincerely,

Ricardo Gonzalez, President

Cuban Committee for Democracy