Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jay Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:37:16 -0500
> What is wrong with Pottenger's Cats?  I am a little familiar with
> what he did.  I have been corresponding with a raw foodist who has
> used Pottenger's Cat to support his view.  I would like to know your
> thought about it.
>
> Mike

Here is a customer review of Pottenger's Cats as found
on www.amazon.com. Note that I didn't write this review
and I'm not sure it doesn't contain an error (does anyone
know if Pottenger really worked in a sanitarium? I almost
think this reviewer is getting Pottenger mixed up with
Dr. Howell, who did. I have asked a couple of people
and IIRC, they also think this is an error):

Reviewer: EDWARD DARMOHRAY (see more about me) from fort myers, Florida
United States

Pottenger's Cats is a classic in the science of nutrition. Dr. Pottenger
discovered quite by accident that cats degenerated unless they were fed raw
food. In his 10-year study of 900 cats, he found the optimal diet for his
cats was 2/3 raw meat and 1/3 raw milk plus a little cod liver oil. If
either the meat or the milk was cooked, the cats degenerated. And if both
were cooked, the degeneration was much worse, and the cats could no longer
reproduce by the third generation.

Some of the problems Pottenger found in the cats fed cooked food were: heart
problems; nearsightedness and farsightedness; underactivity and inflammation
of the thyroid; infections of the kidney, liver, testes, ovaries and
bladder; arthritis and inflammation of the joints; inflammation of the
nervous system with paralysis and meningitis. And in the third generation,
some of the cats' bones became as soft as rubber. Lung problems, and
bronchitis and pneumonia were also frequent. Moreover, the females became
irritable and even dangerous, and the males became passive and lacked sex
interest.

Do many of these conditions sound familiar? Pottenger, of course, realized
that his cat studies didn't apply entirely to humans. He believed
nonetheless that his findings for cats did have relevance for humans, and in
his sanitarium he fed his patients much raw food, with considerable success.
Weston A. Price reported in his book, "Nourishing Traditions" that all of
the people's he studied worldwide included much raw food in their
traditional diets and were almost entirely free of the degenerative diseases
that are rampant in our junk food society, such as tooth decay, heart
disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, arthritis, digestive disturbances,etc.

If you want to stay healthy, you owe it to yourself to read both Pottenger
and Price. Their eye opening photographs alone will make clear to you that
you need optimum nutrition if you want to be optimally healthy.