Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:43:28 +0900
From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
>  Not because I was tired, because I was HUNGRY.  I lost
> the bet, but the guy was simply amazed.  I know I could have made it at
> least twice as far if I hadn't run out of fuel.  [Suggestions on how to
> refuel in longer endurance events?]

Most marathons offer sugar water "sports drinks" at various stages of
the race. They do help. I used to get very hungry during training runs.
Changing to low carb and lots of fat stopped that. Now I run 70-80
minutes twice a week and never feel hungry during the run. Low carb
also seems to help with heat and water regulation. I usually run at
noon, in temperatures up to 90 degrees (32C) and near 100% humidity. It
is no real problem, though I have started carrying a water bottle
recently for the long runs.

Before going Paleo I was trying to run, but couldn't really get back
into it due to constant nagging injuries, plus I couldn't take the
heat, even jogging at night, and hunger, it was all a pain. Going low
carb, then paleo changed all that. Even the old pain from injuries
disappeared after about six months. I felt like I had ben given back my
eighteen year old body.

Well, that was an exaggeration! But I did feel better than I had in
years, and good enough to get back into competitive sports.