Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:24:39 -0700
> People who argue for an all-raw diet I think are slightly off base. We
> have come a long way from the all-raw days. We can do that now mainly
> because we have lots of domesticated plants that have had their
> defenses artificially reduced to the point that we can stand them.

It is true for plants but also for animals.  wild animals are not so easy to
overeat ( without artifices of cuisine ) as domestic animals are . so the
issue is not raw or cooked but wild or not .
it is easy for me to gorge on beef ,lamb , or chickens , not so much with
wild deers , ducks or beaver.
at this point in my life and at that location i could relie on only wild raw
foods animals or plants .there is enough choices, i grow some crops and
animals for conveniance as my family situation is not set up for pure
hunting gathering life style ( alone and lonelly to do the job , imperatives
of modern lives (  wasted time to work to pay taxes for ex, driving to have
some social contact etc.. ) ...
harvesting wild food require cooperation to be efficient .  if i have  by
myself to go here to get a clam and over there to get nettle , not many
chance to have a complete meal .

the "strong" taste of the wild is at the same time a potential for great
wonderfull  tasting when body needs for that food is there and also a
regulating device to maintain consumption in balance with body needs .
In a raw unseasonned context , domestic foods are just" easier" to eat ,
never so great or so deplaisant than wild ,  no matter what the body needs
are .
seasonned or cooked you could eat almost anything independantly of your real
needs.

> is an odd evolutionary path. The all raw meat eaters may be closer to
> the point.\

you don't need to makes it all raw meats to eat well raw in the wild . from
june to november we have at least 7 very tasty berries to eat( salmon
,thimble, blue, blackberries ....) and way more that are not so tasty but
good enough ( hawthorn , elderberries , ....) and in the winter and  spring
there is lot of tasty wild greens that becomes not so good as they mature
toward seeds. you have to eat the birds also to guarantee a supply of
berries , here the birds are taking them all when you look somewhere else.
it is cherry season and there is thousands of trees on this island,  a lot
sown by bird along edge rows, but the struggle to get few cherries ripe is
big.
jean-claude