Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:07:48 +0200
7bit
From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Evelyn McWilliams wrote:

> Is there a test for antibodies against meat protein?
> What is it called?

An ordinary test for antibodies against various food items.
They test dozends or hundreds of proteins.
Some tests use to discover quite many antibodies, so my doctor of that
time decided to use a test which usually brings up less intolerances.
Because otherwise "people don't know what to eat anymore".
In my case it came out hazelnut, soy and one meat. They test several
meat proteins and only one gave the reaction (I don't recall which it
was- maybe veal or sheep).
Up to the time I didn't have any reaction I would have recognised as
"allergy". It was about sneaking or undiscovered reactions.
I have avoided hazel and soy up to now. Green peppers I avoid too,
according to my personal observation. Green peppers seem to give many
people strange effects.
It was no restriction for me. Moreover I discovered that these items are
frequently used as cheap ingredients for many mixed or ready-made meals
- which I don't eat anymore anyway.

> Also, I understand that one can be 'intolerant' to a certain food without
> being allergic to it. In my case, I am noticing adverse reactions to certain
> foods (such as milk, fatty meats etc) that takes the form of rhinitis and
> general puffiness from over production of mucus.

The reaction to milk (rhinitis) is classic. I also never drink milk or
cream - but I like white cheese and sour cream occasionally. They seem
to be different or have less of the problematic stuff - we don't really
know what it is.
I think it has something to do with the modern milk production methods
but I can't tell what it really could be. nomilk.com provides some
anti-milk arguments.
For meats and meat fats as you have reported -  one shouldn't feel so
sure with it. They contain their own food proteins which can cause
intolerances and allergies easily.

regards

Amadeus