Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kathryn Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:14:32 -0400
From: Rob Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>

> Trichinosis, a parasite, is a concern in pork and 'wild' meats, like bear.
> Trichinosis, however, is much less common in pork since the requirement to
> cook garbage fed to pigs.

I don't think trichinosis is much of an issue in the U.S., but we are having
to think more about the brain diseases showing up all over the country in
wild deer, antelope, etc.

I try to feed my dog a raw diet as much as possible, but was a bit unnerved
to find that about 20 miles from our home in New Mexico a herd of deer was
found to test positive for a brain disease similar to mad cow.

Although I too love raw meat, I'm not convinced that it is as safe as it
used to be.  When eating raw, how does one know the meat is diseased other
than by the usual signs?  I know that rabbits should not be eaten during
certain months - their livers will show spots confirming Tularhemia (no idea
how to spell it).  But not all signs are that obvious.  Wild animals with
"mad cow" type diseases do not show obvious signs - other than loss of motor
control in the final stages, do they?

Kath