Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 16:06:32 +0100
From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Hello everybody!

I have not been reading the list for quite some time, partly
because of a visit to a small djungle town in Cameroon (Africa).
This place is within the "yam belt" of west Africa, so i had
the chance to get a lot of that nice tuber. It is very filling
so you do not need to get a lot of calories to get satisfied.

But the mostly used tuber food there is "fou-fou" a dough-like
patty made from cassava. Cassava is very easy to grow in that
climate.
I stayed with a family, and had the same food as they, and it
turned out that I had to deviate very little from my paleo
habits. A very usual dish is a mixture of a leafy green that
they pick in the wild, onions, peppers and other veggies all
boiled with a lot of palm oil. In this mix they also put meat,
organ meat and a fish from Marocco that they can buy frozen.
The vegetables can also be based mainly on tomatoes.
The mix is usually eaten together with fou-fou, but I prefered
yam.
A lot of fruit is also eaten, especially papaya and bananas.
In the mango season (not during my visit) there are mangos
everywhere.
Some food is bought at a market (visiting the butcher stand
in the market was not raising apetite; hot sun, flies, and
not very clean) but most is bought from some neighbour who
sells it, someone has tomates, another bananas and so on.

I am soon off there again, but this time it will be mainly
restaurant food.

http://w1.860.telia.com/~u86019891/afr.html

- Hans