AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"AAM (African Association of Madison)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:06:15 +0000
From:
"Peter R. Munoz" <[log in to unmask]>
** Visit AAM's new website! http://www.africanassociation.org **

fyi, this is a good example of the absurdity of US Cuba policy.

"The Rev. Raul Suarez, who runs the Martin Luther King Memorial Center
and is pastor of the Ebenezer Baptist Church in Havana ... has traveled
to the United States about 20 times since 1980 to speak to church groups
and at universities. Mr. Suarez, 69, is also an elected member of the
Cuban Popular National Assembly, but says he is not a member of the
Communist Party ... Mr. Suarez was scheduled to speak about antipoverty
initiatives, his work spreading Martin Luther King Jr.'s philosophy of
nonviolence in Cuba and his work to increase religious tolerance under
Fidel Castro's regime ...
'I am inspired by the example of Martin Luther King Jr., who, despite
suffering, looked for solutions for the anguish and problems of his
people, an example I have tried to follow in my own life ... 'It has
made me understand my Christian faith, not just as a hope for an
afterlife, but as a better way to live this life, and transform the
world."