AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"AAM (African Association of Madison)" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Hedi Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:38:38 -0600
** Visit AAM's new website! http://www.africanassociation.org **

Black Love Day makes local debut
It emphasizes community
By Pat Schneider
February 11, 2004

A growing cultural phenomenon comes to Madison this week with the
community's first Black Love Day celebration.

Friday's event is timed to Valentine's Day, which is Saturday, but is
more closely linked to neighborly, rather than romantic, love.

"It's a day to observe the successes and struggles of the black
community today," said Tauvaris J. Moore, who led the effort to bring
the commemoration to Madison.

"It's also a day to reflect on the past year, to atone for mistakes,
embrace each other and move forward," he said.

Participants also are called upon to formally pledge themselves to
positive spiritual, emotional and moral principles and commit themselves
to community action.

Black Love Day was started in 1993 in Washington, D.C., by Ayo
Handy-Kendi to combat violence and depression in African-American
communities.

The celebration has since begun to spread, notably to Atlanta, Ga., and
Raleigh, N.C., Moore said.

The Madison celebration will start at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Best
Western InnTowner, 2424 University Ave.

Enis Ragland, acting director of the Madison Affirmative Action Office,
will be a guest speaker.

Ragland said the cultural celebration has the potential to grow into
something meaningful to the community.

The city has not had a Black History Month event up till now, and
"Black Love Day could be it," he said. "We need to think about what we
as African-Americans can and need to do to improve the condition of our
neighborhoods and our ability to work together, and support each other
in economic development, in health issues. Anyone who wants to share
love in the community is invited to come out."

Moore said the Madison celebration also will be an opportunity for
blacks from different walks of life to get together.

"The community is very divided - socially and economically," Moore
said. "It's sad at times."

Black Love Day will be a chance for everyone to socialize, said Moore,
who also is chief coordinator for Expressive Arts, a group trying to
develop and showcase local young artists.

The program will include a presentation by poets Dasha Kelly, De'Shawn
Ewing and Inger Henderson.

Local news personalities Mike McKinney and Justin Williams of NBC 15,
Dawn Stevens of Channel 3 and Kai Reed of WKOW 27 also will be
recognized.

Entertainment by The Rob Dz Experience and DJ 3D will follow the formal
program.

Cost is $15 per person. For more information, call 259-8931.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

TJ: Great Article! Congratulations on your hard work to bring Black
Love Day to Madison. This is a truly positive effort and I trust that
community participation will reflect that. Count me in on helping with
planning next year - after all "Our strength is in our Unity!"

Hedi