From:
Susan Alintoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 13:52:50 EDT

Dear Listmates,

First I want to thank the more than 45 people who responded (that's why it
has taken so long to summarize!). I was overwhelmed! In addition to all the
information, your support and good wishes are deeply appreciated. Many people are
living with both celiac and diabetes, and the main message I got is that it
compels you to live a very healthy lifestyle - exercise is as important a part
of maintaining healthy blood sugar levels as eating a healthy, balanced diet.
Following are websites and books for more info and dietary approaches.
Susan in Ct

Websites:
I would suggest you to ask your questions at this other excellent GF forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages
There are kind and knowledgeable people there, including doctors with CD, and
an extensive GF product list.

www.childrenwithdiabetes.com

You can go to
www.joslin.com and read up on diabetes and how it works.  They have a
wonderful section for the new people as well as "borderline diabetes" (this
was excellent information for me)

Go to www.houstonceliacs.org
Janet Rinehart and Cynthia Kupper (GIG) created a brochure on Diabetes and
CD. You can download an Acrobat PDF from this website. Click on the title
"Diabetes, Celiac Disease and Me."  (a great source of info)

Try a raw food diet-- raw/living frutis veggies-- nothing cooked.  plus nuts
and seeds.  see www.living-foods.com for ideas

Books /Diets:

Read "The Schwartzbein Principle" which goes into it (suggestions on lowering
blood sugar through diet). Or "Life without bread".
The book Nourishing Traditions gives some great ideas about feeding human
beings.

The Glucose Revolution

The Zone by Barry Sears

The Sugar Control Diet  Its like Atkins but allows unlimited fresh fruits and
vegetables

The Atkins Diet

The Insulin Resistant Diet

Going Against the Grain by Melissa Diane Smith

Many people decscribed approaches to keeping track of and balancing
carbohydrate intake. Many people count carbs and others keep track of the "glycemic
content" of foods. Apparantly, our GF breads, pastas etc have a higher glycemic
ratings (or carb counts) than their wheat-based counterparts. I was told to do
web search on "Glycemic Index".

The following is from one email, and it summarizes everything very clearly:
Dietary sugar is not the problem per se.  Diabetics can eat any food.  They
must eat small amounts of carbohydrate throughout the day and exercise.  How
high your blood sugar becomes after a meal is determined by: your glucose
intolerance, the amount of carbohydrate consumed, the glycemic index of the
carbohydrate, other foods eaten at the same time, exercise; and other factors like
time of day, and your mood.

Some Diabetics count carbohydrates with a system where they use the size of
their hand to estimate portion size (e.g. carbohydrate the size of their palm,
vegetables the size of their fist).  In the long term, you can prevent your
glucose intolerance from increasing by exercising and not letting your blood
sugar become too high.  In the short term, you can prevent your blood sugar from
getting too high or too low by eating many small balanced meals throughout the
day and exercising.  Both anaerobic and resistance exercise have a huge
effect in both the short and long term (blood sugar, glucose intolerance).  Walking
every day seems to the exercise that most people are best able to maintain.

If your daughter does not yet have Diabetes, you do not need to worry much
about the glycemic index: how quickly the sugar enters your blood.  Sucrose,
white bread, and orange juice will enter your blood quickly after eating.  These
are good to eat if your blood sugar drops (if you haven't eaten in a long time
and start exercising).  The foods with a high glycemic index need to be
tightly limited by Diabetics.  Vegetables and fructose have a low glycemic index
and raise blood sugar slowly.  Eating fat with your meal will slow glucose
absorption.

Many books, Internet sites, and classes are available.