Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:50:57 -0800

I sometimes think that for adults celiac can be a blessing in disguise.  It saves us from the Number 1 American Hobby -going out to eat. Were it not for celiac, I would not be able to force myself to make the effort to buy, store, prepare and consume good food. It's a lot of work! But it is better for us, and usually tastes better too. Don't get me wrong- I would really enjoy a weekly quality pizza. But in many parts of the country (including where I live) I would have to settle for a very mediocre chain version.

Also, without ever needing to think about it, the celiac diet tends to keep us lean. Better for health, and one's social life too. Best would be if I didn't have the disease, but somehow could make myself follow the diet anyway. But that is as likely as snow in Hell, so what I have has some real advantages.

It doesn't stop there. Since we can't comfortably spend lots of time sitting in restaurants, we have to find other things to occupy our minds and time. For the most part these other hobbies do more for us than being  foodies.

Well, my thoughts for the day. I would like to hear from others- do any of you also see some advantages in being gluten-intolerant?

Michael