From:
Jerry Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:35:50 -0800

Anybody good with blood test results? I’m a 41 year old male, had a fasting
blood test done at the end of January and got results wacky enough to get me
an appointment with an endocrinologist this month. Doctor told me he sees
“metabolic anomalies” in my blood and urine work. After checking
CarbonBased.com (http://www.carbonbased.com/cbcblood.htm) to help me
decipher the test results now I am wondering should I see a hematologist, an
urologist, or another gastroenterologist. I scanned the test results and
posted them online in my briefcase on Yahoo. If you would like to take a
look at the results the address is here:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jerrya_sj/vwp?.dir=/Scans&.dnm=blood+%26+urine+te
st+results.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

In 1987 when I was eating gluten daily (I was diagnosed with celiac sprue in
2001) I had abnormal liver enzyme results showing up on my blood work plus I
had cholesterol scores of 130, very low. Doctors were scratching their heads
at this at the time and the sprue didn’t get real bad in me until the 1990s.
Now I am getting worse liver enzyme scores then I got back then and don’t
know what to think. I’m pretty sure I went 30+ years with active celiac
sprue and ate gluten daily all that time. I know I suffered decades of
malnutrition and inflammation that have taken their toll on my body. The ALT
(sGPT) results on this test according to CarbonBased.com are close to “liver
insufficiency” levels.

Albumin levels are high, yet urine specific gravity is almost at neutral
(1.006 measured). One points to dehydration, the other implies high water
intake. I was urinating about 2 gallons a day before I went to the doctor in
January, in fact that was one of the reasons I made the appointment with
him, the quantity and frequency of urination plus problems I was having with
sugar (and from the lack of it, it seemed). I found I was inadvertently
eating about 90-120 grams of sugar a day from foods like sweet yogurt, rice
pudding, orange and grapefruit juice, etc. I cut out all sweet stuff a few
months ago and the constant thirst went away and the urine output decreased
to about 1.5 gallons a day, but this is still too high it seems to me.

Bilirubin is high end of scale; ALT is 12. Hemolytic anemia maybe? But what
is causing it? The high RBC coupled with high bilirubin and low ALT?
Possible diabetes insipidus with the excessive urination and urine results
(the pH is 7.5)? I’m just wondering aloud here, am totally baffled. Possible
autoimmune response maybe, the high blood cell count maybe… (But then there’
s the low white blood cell and platelet count… I give up) or is it just some
sort of liver disease like I’m afraid it is. Any feedback will be
appreciated.

The endocrinologist appointment is in two weeks. The question is should I
set up an appointment with the GI and/or hematologist as well.

I need suggestions on who to turn to, thanks for any feedback on this

Jerry
California