Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 17:53:04 -0400

South River interested me because it appears they make miso from chick
pea, azuki beans and millet as well
as soy (i keep reading health reports on the dangers of soy). It's also
organic:

I found South River brand at my food coop in Tucson - not sure where
else it is available - not all the varieties were GF, but I have
"sweet-tasting brown rice" here, containing well water, brown rice,
soiybeans, sea salt, sea vegetables and koji culture.
They have other GF varieties I have not tried - see
http://www.southrivermiso.com

however here's a warning about South River:

I have been looking myself.  All of Westbrae Naturals have gluten. South
River says 2 of their's don't' but I am not sure they undrestand,    The
problem is that many misos contain barley-- barley flour is thown on the
fermenting rice in Japan.  Be wary of anything Japanese.  Let me know if you
find anything.  Call or e-mail South River.  They said the millet and rice
don't have gluten But...... I didn't trust them somehow. Also Miso Master
said their's has gluten.   Nama Shoyu and wheat-free tamari by Ohsana BOTH
have gluten.

-----------------------------------
Miso-Cup from Edward & Sons Trading Company, Inc., Box 1326,
Carpinteria, CA 93014.
Ingredients: soybeans, cultured rice, salt, onions, wakame seaweed.

They are an established vendor of GF products, so their products should
be free from cross-contamination, etc. etc. Their website:
www.edwardandsons.com <http://www.edwardandsons.com>  and their phone:
805-684-8500.

another one for Edward & Sons:

We buy Edward & Sons Miso-Cup.  It's freeze dried, instant - just add water.
Best of all they label it Gluten Free right on the back of the package.  We
get it at our Whole Foods Market

----------------------------------
Fantastic Foods has a GF dry miso soup.  I found it at a Wild Oats store
and confirmed it with the company.  Haven't used it yet, so I can't
testify to the taste.
-----------------------------------
Someone suggested I also try another "excellent GF forum":

http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages

There are kind and knowledgeable people there, including doctors with
CD, and an extensive GF product list.

I live in Munich, and here there is the Lima brand, and they make gf soy
sauce among others. Their Shiro Miso is gf. I don't know if they sell
the same brand in the states.

Eden Foods sent me a list of all their "non-gluten" products. I will
forward this to you in a seperate
email.  They specifically indicate that they take utmost care in their
control of ingrediants but
cannot legally guarantee 100% the efficasy of 3rd party manufacturing
processes.

thanks to all who replied,

Steve - NYC