From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:16:54 -0500

1)The main online source is now http://www.kosher.com
1-866-KOSHER-X (1-866-567-4379) Fax - 1-866-456-8877
Unfortunately a source that was available last year is not working--
http://www.koshersupermarket.com but it will send you to kosher.com.
Although this is a US based virtual store they will ship world wide but
you should allow 2-3 weeks for shipping.

At this time the website kosher.com is hard to navigate to see ALL the
kosher for Passover items they carry. Although they have a Gluten Free
section it only includes those items that have been labeled as gluten
free such as oat matzah and baked goods from Mimi & Me (at least they
are aware we exist!!). I found the best way was to go to search Passover
(vice search) and ask for a category (such as oil, candy) or a specific
item (such as Passover crumbs, potato starch).

They do have oat matzah, oat matzah meal, spelt matzah (for those that
can tolerate spelt), Passover crumbs, candies, cookies & cakes from the
new gf bakery Mimi & Me (with pictures) and potato starch (plus for
during the year they do carry the gf shelf stable entrees from My Own
Meals). They did NOT have the Tovli ice cream cones (which btw are
delicious, keep well and are made from tapioca flour/no soy, etc) or
Flaums noodles (I have successfully made a sweet noodle kugel with these
plus they don't dissolve like other potato starch noodles I have had in
the past), however I talked with them and check back since they will try
to get them in stock. The other baked goods did NOT list the bakery so
it is not possible to determine if they are gf without calling
kosher.com.

During my phone call to kosher.com they indicated that they will check
into creating a non-gebruckts list and hopefully that will be on the
website soon. They seem open to suggestions and seem very market
oriented so call and let them know when you see problems or have
suggestions. Hopefully next year they will have a PDF file which would
be easier to download then the current system and would let us look
through their products offline.

2) As has been previously posted to the list you can order from Schick's
bakery and their items are delicious. Their website is:
http://www.schicksbakery.com   phone # 718-436-8020. They will start
taking Passover orders after 20 March and you can place the order online
however they would like you to confirm the order by calling them. The
website lists 54 items that are kosher for passover (and everything
EXCEPT the Honey Loaf and Honey Loaf with fruit are gluten free). I plan
on ordering at least a couple of boxes of Krakovsky (this is a
nut/carmel/etc mixture that holds up well in the freezer) but haven't
decided what else I will order (their seven layer cake, chocolate roll
have a well deserved reputation).

Although they will do special gf orders during the year this means you
must order a minimum 40# cake mix quantity and only get a basic cake.
The only other time they do gf/kfp baking (besides for Passover) is for
a food show which will be the end of October 2004 but I could not find
out if they will ship from this endeavor. I would call about the middle
of September 2004 if you want to try to get some items from this special
baking.

3) Several of the gluten free mail order companies are carrying or have
carried either Pasketz Passover Crumbs or their equivalent from
Lieber's. I don't remember which companies (and some of these are what I
saw in past years, not this year) but think it was from one in
Philadelphia, Gluten Free Pantry, and a company that caters to children
with autism.

If anyone else knows of other online or mail order companies that carry
gf Kosher for Passover items let me know and I will post the list. Thank
you.

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD