From:
Melanie Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melanie Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:32:08 -0800

Thanks so much for the helpful replies.  I've summarized replies below, but have not included duplicates and those that said they have no particular info on this topic.

The responses and advice were varied.  At this point, I have been working with the food service company ( Arbor Management) to find out ingredients of selected foods.  I will be spending some time in the cafeteria to see how they prepare foods, as well, and I suspect that will convince me that my daughter will continue to bring her lunch everyday.

As for the cooking class, I am hoping to have them alter the curriculum so she can get credit for cooking at home and will not be in the classroom when they cook with gluten.  This is an adaptation of some of the suggestions I received, taking into account my daughter's wishes and what I think the school will agree to without a battle that she wants to avoid.

Again, thanks so much for your help!!
Melanie Neal

1.  Donna Korn's books have a summary in them.

2.  This is what I would use if I needed to persuade anyone in food service at a public school:

According to a technical representative at the US Dept of Justice, there is no formal listing of diseases that would be covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act.  However, there is a requirement that public institutions do make accommodations for individuals with special needs that are "reasonable".  The accommodations that would be reasonable are determined on a case by case basis.  The tech rep at the Justice Dept felt providing lunches that had gluten free choices by schools were reasonable.

The tech rep said to determine what is needed or desired in very specific detail:  what types of food, how often, for how many celiacs, how it could be accomplished etc, and to put that in a request to the ADA coordinator for the school district.   Part of the function of the request is to show how providing meals to celiacs could be easily accomplished, and therefore establishing the request for school lunches for celiacs as reasonable.

If the school refuses the request, a grievance/complaint could be filled under the ADA with the Dept. of Justice, or in the case of the school system, with the US Dept. of Education.

Of course the best course is to make the request so clear and easy for The school system that it would be unreasonable for them to say no!

3.  My daughter took home-ec which involved cooking three years ago (as an 7th grader) and again as a freshman.  She's been diagnosed for a lot longer (12 years) so I was a little more comfortable with her staying in the class and participating in an educated and careful way.  It was made clear to both teachers that she could not partake of the foods involved, and that extreme care would have to be exercised in preparations.   Both teachers were receptive and helpful.  My reasoning was that she needed to learn the cooking part and could transfer it to use with GF ingredients.

She was not happy in 7th grade to have new people know of her condition.  She was less concerned as a freshman, and even happy to oblige when her science teacher wanted information on celiac during their genetics unit.

Hang in there!

4.  Dear Melanie, I am working with my son's school and he is getting school lunch.  I understand the law says the school is required to supply meals but his school has been great.  I made an appointment with the food service director.  She keeps a copy of every food label in the office.  At our meeting, we went over the menu day by day and checked all the labels.  What is not gf is being substituted.  Some food items the school is purchasing.  Other foods I am supplying until they at the school know what to get and where.  So far we have had great success.  The ladies at his particular school take great care in preparing his food.  You might have more success with a friendly face to face meeting.

5.  The Schools follow the Rehab act of 73.  As far as an equal education, not a soul gets such a thing in a public school.  Kids are tracked according to the education level and stabs of their parents.  Special kids mean special dollars.  The system simply sucks.  No child left behind could be a good way to deal with this situation.  Federal bucks are at stake.  ADA and schools.  No.  They are masters at segregation and labeling.

6.  Melanie,
I have two celiac daughters, ages 11 and 14 (sixth and eighth grade).  They have been GF for 4 and 8 years respectively.  I am quite surprised by the treatment you are getting at her school.  I would suggest getting the school nurse involved in these discussions, as well as the nutritionist/dietician in the food service dept.  It is my understanding that all students  (with celiac disease) are entitled to GF meals at public schools that receive any federal funding.  (that being said, my kids only eat the stuff that is already GF--they don't want any special attention)  As far as the Home Ec class (Family and Consumer Science at our school), it would be a wonderful opportunity for the teacher to show how to adapt recipes and learn about nutrition at the same time.  Good luck with this.

7.  Melanie,

Have you filled out a 504 form with the school that lists the dietary restrictions for your daughter?  Once this form is filed, the school,

If receiving federal funds, should accommodate for her needs.  I also have a daughter in 8th grade and I met with the school district head dietitian, went through all the menus and the warehouse and together we called the companies that supply food to the school and came up with choices for each day of the week that were gluten free and that would provide a balanced meal (their requirements).  They even offered to buy GF bread, which I declined as Colleen would not eat it anyway and why waste the money.  We are fortunate here in our middle schools and high schools because they offer a wide range of food choices every day and always have things that she can eat - even if it is just salad.  I have also consulted with the teachers of the "life skills" courses in the middle school.  They are aware of Colleen's needs and allow her to participate to the extent that she can.   They have also provided the recipes so that we can make the items at home for credit.  Last year, the teacher
 modified the apple cobbler recipe so that Colleen could have that with the class.  You do have to be the one to be vigilant, though.  I had to meet with the dietitian again this year as the vendors/suppliers change each year (sometimes twice per year) depending on the contract the school district has with vendors. I have also spoken with a mom from a more rural district than ours.  The school district couldn't afford alternative foods for her celiac child so they hired the mom as an independent contractor to provide the appropriate food for the district.  So it seems there are lots of creative ways to approach even the most financially strapped district with a plan.  I hope that you are successful in getting the school to be more aware of special diets.  If your daughter would like to speak to Colleen about her experiences, please let me know and we can try to hook them up.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you with this effort.

8.  I don't understand why she cannot cook...even celiacs can cook w/flour. just don't eat it and wash your hands after touching.

9.  I recommend contacting the school district food service division/office to find out how the district could accomodate your daughter.  The district office should have recipes.  If you provide a physician's diet order, the school district should meet needs for a GF meal regardless of income.  Our state level office has gotten involved in a similar situation -- the state office worked to help the local district provide a GF menu (my health agency provided the GF menu to the education agency, but the products used need to be verified, which is challenging but possible when dealing with Sysco and other brokers).  I have worked in food service.  Multiply what you deal with at home by several factors. Cross contamination issues remain after the foods are ok'd.   We just pack a lunch daily (and worry about college down the line).

Good luck!

10.  Melanie:

If you look in the book "Kids with Celiac Disease:  A Family Guide to Raising Happy, Healthy, Gluten-Free Children," there's an entire chapter on the legal rights parents have for receiving gluten-free school lunches, etc.

11.  Melanie,

The schools are obligated to provide your daughter with a gluten free breakfast (if they serve it) and lunch at no extra charge.  If you daughter received a free or reduced price meal the gluten free meal would be the same reduction or free, as well as paying a full price for the meal if that is her financial catagory.  School lunches are part of the Federal Lunch Program and they canot discriminate, so yes, they HAVE to provide it.

I have 3 children with Celiac in public schools, they are always very helpful.  I go to the cafeteria manager with a huge notebook I have prepared that they can keep, lists of some of the more common meals that they like, sometimes I even send them in baking supplies or already made cookies.

As far as the cooking class, I haven't dealt with that exactly, however, my little ones have baked cookies at school but they were gluten free (see recipe below).  My 15 year old son has Down syndrome (as do the two little ones) and they often cook in his class.  What he does if it is a gluten containing project is to take a disposable camera and film the process, making a pictoral document of it.  I think that should count, but I also feel that substitutions should be made for your daughter, she should be allowed to participate in cooking.  She can adapt the meal to be gluten free or similar.

I hope this helps!

Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 egg
optional -- chocolate chips, raisins, nuts

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes