VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gordan Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gordan Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:06:04 -0800
Dear Dorene,   I am a partially  sighted 82 year old man who uses a
magnified/screen reader called Zoom Text Level 2 from AI Squared.  As a
poor (slow) keyboard user who had to learn touch typing as well as
spelling I must use this combination software.  I am not an expert on
this subject, but this true novice can only relate my experience with
Zoom Text Level 2 software.  I am sure others can add much to what I
have learned as a partially sighted person who:
1. Never touched typed
2. Acquired and retained 95% of my knowledge visually.
3. Nearly always had a secretary, clerk typist (military) do all the
   grunt work.  Like spelling, grammar, clarity of prose etc.
Middle      management never had it so good in the 40'ss, 50's and
60's.  But the
   blind and vissually impaired never had it so good as we have it since
   the early 70's to today.

My vision is rated 20/400, from Nacular Degeneration (Loss of central
vision).  Other vision defects may require other software.

I must also give credit to the Veterans Administration for ALL my
training, personal computer with the proper software on which this reply
was created.  If you are a veteran, (anyone who ever served in the armed
forces is a vet) get in touch with your local VIST Coordinator at your
nearest VA Medical Center and apply for the "FREE" computer and training
program (CATS).  I went through CATS in 1995.

Some advantages that can be programed in or left out of this softeware
are:

CREATING WORD DOC'S
1.  Each letter typed will echo, say the word when the space bar is
    pressed.
2.  It will read back each sentance, phrase or paragraph as needed.
3.  I can quickly switch from 0 magnification to 16x magnification.
4.  Spell Check can be used easily as the red underline can be
spotted.     The incorrect word spelled correctly can be missed.  ie.
(FORM -
    FROM).
5.  A much smaller magnification can be used as the eye can relax as you
    create your doc.
6.  If professional spacing and appearance is important this ual
    conbination makes it much easier.
7.  I still use my CCTV to do the final proofing.  (Next day is
    preferable).

E-MAIL, ENTERNET AND OTHER ADVANTAGESS
1. Just sit back and let the screen reader read your e-mail and let your
   eyes rest.
2. The Internet is a littel more difficult.
3. Read your Desk Top Icons with little or no magnification.  Just
   use your Arrows to mavagate your Desktop.
4. Set your files to list, use up/down arrows to read file and folder
   titles.
5. Set your monotor screen "Appearance" to the best color combination to
   maximize your vision acuity.
6. There is so much more you can do to enhance your vision access.

DISADVANTAGES
1. This software does not read all the text that some screen reader only
   do.
2. My system was set up in late 1999, so careful review of what is
   avaiable today is in order.

A Truly Happy Camper,
Gordon wahl

PS.
1.  I had a lot of fun writing this, I hope it helps you.
2.  A I Squared may have the latest  trial versiom (7.XX) you
    can down-load, or they     may have a trial CD version.

#####