VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2003 21:18:36 -0700
Lisa,

The self-extractor program allows you to create files that are compressed
but that do not require a zip decompression utility to access the
contents.  Unless you are going to be creating compressed files for others
where you are concerned that they do not have the ability to decompress
them, you don't need the extra self-extractor program.

For example a software program might be sent out in compressed format but
the developer wants people not to have to have a decompression utility.  My
guess is that you do not need the extra stuff.