VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:57:07 -0500
From: "Oleg Shevkun" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 4:38 PM
Subject: [pacmate] Freedom Scientific begins shipping the PAC Mate TNS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Media Contact: Scott Meyers, Marketing Director
Sales Contact: Bryan Carver, Inside Sales Director
Freedom Scientific Inc. Blind/Low Vision Group
11800 31st Court North
St. Petersburg, FL 33716
1-800-444-4443 or 1-727-803-8000

Freedom Scientific begins shipping the PAC Mate TNS

This QWERTY model joins the BNS Braille version on the market

(St. Petersburg, Florida - March 18, 2003) - Freedom Scientific today
announced it began shipping the PAC Mate TNS.  PAC Mate is the world's
first and only accessible Pocket PC device for those who are blind. This
definitive hand-held computer provides access to everyday Windows-based
desktop data and software applications via Pocket PC including Word,
Excel, Outlook and Internet Explorer.

In addition to this QWERTY-style keyboard version, Freedom Scientific
also offers the PAC Mate BNS, with its eight-dot Braille keyboard. Both
units are available for purchase and are being shipped. The TNS and BNS
offer the same great functionality utilizing JAWSR for Pocket PC
technology.

Those who ordered this revolutionary device are now surfing the
Internet, sending and receiving email, and managing data with
unsurpassed convenience. PAC Mate allows you to sync up with other PDAs
and PAC Mates and it features CompactFlash(tm) cards for unlimited
storage.

"It has a lot of potential to do a lot of things," said Derek Lane, who
has used a PAC Mate for school and recreation in Morganton, N.C. during
the past few months. "You've got the standard suite of Pocket PC
programs that run well and some third-party programs that work real well
too. Obviously, PAC Mate has it over the (competition) in that there's
no barrier to Windows CE."

Oleg Shevkun, a pastor and teacher in Moscow, said he likes being able
to accomplish a wide variety of tasks on his PAC Mate.

"I am absolutely amazed by PAC Mate's flexibility," Shevkun said. "I can
work with email, create a complex document or a spreadsheet, plan
appointments, and calculate math problems. But then, I just feel like
taking a break and listening to some music or to a radio broadcast on
the Internet - all with that same little device! And, speaking about the
Internet, I can connect by synchronizing with my PC, or by directly
plugging a network card into the PAC Mate, or even by using PAC Mate
with my mobile phone. The possibilities are enormous. I am really glad
the developers were so thoughtful in providing compatibility with a
broad range of off-the-shelf software and hardware products, so that we
users can choose what fits us best."

Some of the options for PAC Mate include a 56K or Ethernet modem. Either
modem option is an additional $119. Those wanting a spare battery can
order one for $179. Later this year, 20- and 40-cell refreshable Braille
models will be available.

Pricing for the TNS and the BNS is $2,595. You can offset the cost by
trading in an older model Freedom Scientific notetaker. Depending on the
trade, you can save up to $800. As a special introductory offer, a
customer who purchases three PAC Mates on the same purchase order
receives a 10-percent discount. This discount is available for U.S.
customers only through March 31, 2003.

Your PAC Mate comes with a one-year warranty on the hardware* and one
year of free updates for the software. A Product Maintenance Agreement
and annual Software Maintenance Agreement can be purchased for your PAC
Mate. Discounts are applied when these are ordered during initial
product purchase.

Contact your local dealer, or call Freedom Scientific at 1-800-444-4443
or 1-727-803-8000. For more information on PAC Mate, please access the
following link: http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_products/PACMate.asp

The PAC Mate BNS was featured in a two-part, four-hour review on ACB's
Main Menu program. Access the ABC Main Menu Web site for the both the
February 26 and March 5, 2003 reviews:
http://www.acbradio.org/mainmenu.html.

Freedom Scientific is the world's leading manufacturer of technology
products for those who are blind and vision impaired, and products for
the special education and learning disability markets.

*Or, as required by warranty laws in specific countries.
All prices are in U.S. dollars

Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/xaxhjB/hdqFAA/xGHJAA/32FxlB/TM