From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:55:16 -0700
Paul Ryan wrote:

I want to know if there is a noticeable decrease in computer performance by
adding a second NIC. I'm debating between a second NIC or a router to add
internet access to my sons computer.

If I understand this part of the question, you want to add a NIC to your
son's computer making a small network. If this is true, you will also need a
router or switch connected to your ADSL modem. This will allow either
machine to access the net simultaneously.

Here on PCBUILD, you will find a wealth of knowledge. If you poke around you
will find the information you need to set up you're network.
http://freepctech.com/guides.shtml

The real question is how much it will dog my computer down.

Well, this is an interesting question. There are people that have cable
connections and they say there is no slow down during prime time. Others, in
more populated areas get upset when their connection falls off the deep end
and they crawl along the net. The same may be true with ADSL. <smile> If my
speed falls to 900 or so I live with it. Anyway, I won't ramble.

I would go to this site and run a speed test and tweak test on you present
system. http://www.dslreports.com/ After you have your system running at
speed, convert you're son's machine, hook it to a router or switch and run
the tests again. This may not be conclusive but it will give you an idea of
what can and can not be done. There are patches, utilities, and programs
that claim they will make your connection zoom down the Autobahn like a well
tuned racing car. On the other hand, there will be times that your system
will crawl like a snail. I get this on occasion and I wait a while and
re-boot. It goes away.

As more and more people can afford DSl, the net will become congested like
our freeways and the IPS's will offer yet more speed. <smile> T1? LOL These
people are next in line to be hammered.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers