From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:13:37 -0500
Mixed in...

From: "Ultra" <[log in to unmask]>
> All current 1700+ and above are changed over to T-B core, apart from 2000+
> (don't know why, but I'm in Australia, so things may be different).

I guess it might be because 2000+ and 2100+ are "end of life" for the
Palomino series, and the last one cleans out of the channel quick,
and the next to last lingers longer...  Currently $83US and dropping, (for
retail, 3 yr+fan.)  Not all MB support the Model 8, only 6.  If the die is
square, (not the entire CPU) it is likely a model 6.

> > > The XP-SP1 thing might be a company policy against that SP... (??)
> >  >Or a limit set in SUS... (??)

> There is no such thing.  It is all to do with M$ anti-piracy policy, when
> they release service pack, they block known CD keys that used by pirated
> copy, same thing also happens to M$ Office service pack, so ...

You are stating what I feared everyone would say to someone if SP1 was
not installed. (And there are such things. <grin>)

When I said "company" I meant the person's company. (Not MS.)

Lots of companies do not roll out all Service Packs until a limited
testing and small roll-out has completed with good results. (If then.)
Look at all the companies that got hit by Slammer 9 months after the
patches were commomly available...
(Where they still testing, asleep, or what???)

SUS is Software Update Services. That is an MS  feature provided to let
("sort of") large companies have their own Windows Update Server
INSIDE their own organization and CONTROL everything that Windows
update makes available to their local users since ALL changes, (patches,
Service Packs, etc...) are approved by the local Information Technoligy
Department.  (The local Admin so to speak.)

Getting back to the original question, the guy wrote me off list and said
the old PS was "good enough" for the old CPU, but the 1700+ was too
much of a load... He went with a 350W model.  (I'm running them on 300W...)
The problem is solved...

Note to original poster: Chip will run at 55*C "easily" on a very hot summer
day with proper cooling. (Right now mine is 39*C, case 25*C   14*C above
case...) and is rated to 90*C MAX.  AMD AthlonXP 1700+ model 6.

                                           Rick Glazier

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com