From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 09:15:02 -0800
Russ Hatfield wrote

> > I have a Pentium 4, 3 ghz processor that has two severly bent pins. I
> > have contacted Intel support, who sadly reports that they do not repair
> > chips. Any suggestion other than dump it.

This is a strange call. The pins on these chips are difficult to move.
Putting the chip in the slot the wrong way can severely bend the pins beyond
repair.  Several suggestions "have been made" on how to straighten them and
my only concern would be static electricity or damaging the chip all
together.

The decision to straighten them with needle nose pliers is one option. Any
suggestions made are solely suggestions and I would use caution with all due
respect. If they are bent to the point of touching the chip, you may break
them off in your attempt to fix it. If they are slightly bent you may be
successful. I don't have the chip in front of me and any suggestion is
purely conjecture.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers