From:
GeorgeMary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 07:17:29 -0700
Machine is homebuilt...AOpen MX3ZA motherboard w/Award BIOS rev 1.02  Oct
99...latest version I could find.  Celeron running at 400mhz, 192m RAM, 30G
WD harddrive, samsung CDROM and HiVal CDRW.  System was Windows XP SP1.
After a failed linux install with a bad CD my XP installation would not
boot.  The partitioning to ext3 and swap was already done. I tried to
reinstall, but the setup said it couldn't copy various files(usually
qdvd.dll among others) and would exit when I tried to skip the files.  I
then copied the XP CD to the Harddrive and tried from there.  Still same
response.  Figuring a hardware problem I reformated and installed Windows
98se from the CD and everything went fine...from either drive.  I then tried
to reinstall XP.  The files seemed to copy OK but then after the initial
restart I got a black screen saying Line 157 of INF file \txtsetup.sif is
invalid.  I tried to look at line 157 of the file while in Win98, but there
were no line numbers.  A Google search on the file had something to do with
ACPI, so I changed the line as they(JSI) suggested, but still the same
response.  I have torn the machine apart and reassembled, disabled cache in
BIOS (desperate) and nothing seems to change.  Rapidly approaching the hair
removal stage.  Has anyone had this or a similar problem?
George&Mary Skokan ([log in to unmask])

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com