From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:59:23 +0200
From: "Fredrik Murman" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Ecological meat

> Eva, I live in Sweden. (I'm not a swede though.) Check out www.krav.se. I
> usually buy only meat that is labeled KRAV. In case of beef, KRAV means
> that they have had access to grass and hay during their entire life. The
> grain part of their feed has been limited. That's better than nothing.
And,
> KRAV calves get real milk.
>
> Fredrik

Thanks Fredrik, that's just what I thought, more or less.  Still, it would
be nice if there was pure grass fed meat to buy here. As a child I lived in
the countryside and spent much of my time in the neighbouring farm. Calves
were taken from their mothers just a few hours after birth and the cow and
calf were standing mooing in different parts of the barn so they could hear
but not se each other. It was sad. Nowadays there are enourmous herds of
cows that are outside all year. The farmer buys new bulls every year, two or
three charolais and let them loose and they do the job. The cows that are
not pregnant in January goes to the butcher. These cows are not only grass
fed they also get concentrated food(cereals and meat) which, sadly for us
lowers the omega3 and raises the omega6. The animals though, seem to have a
very nice life.
I'm glad I got the omega-bits in - that keeps it on the topic!
Eva