Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 23:50:15 -0500
Paleogal wrote:

>Too, aren't sweet potatoes from the morning glory and not nightshade?
>Actually, I'm talking about what I call a yam. I love them and have to
watch
>how I eat them.  Sweet potatoes have white flesh and are awful.  Oliva

I don't eat sweet potatoes very often - so I don't know much about them.
I'll eat them if I'm over at someone's house for Thanksgiving dinner.

Anyway, nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) are fruits from the
Americas. Sweet potatoes are vegetables (tubers) that have been eaten by
people in Africa through Polynesia for about 100,000 years. So, I guess
that sweet potatoes (at least some kinds of sweet potatoes) are
more "paleo" than nightshades. Despite this, I'm still more wary about
sweet potatoes than nightshades -  nightshades are fruits and evolved for
something to eat them.

Ray