GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Bojang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:27:10 -0800
 The following is from the Observer. I just think Mr. Bah's party need to call for his resignation or apologise. The guy is full of it. This guy is gone off the roof and he need some therapy. All along, he is taken to be jovial in a lot things he says or does, but this is to the extreme.
This is the time we need as nation to encourage the women group(s). NO wonder Mr. Bah is loosing support form the Gambia's.
Ousman Jallow Bojang.

Hamat Bah Attacks Women Activists

Hamat Bah, leader of the National Reconciliation Party and Member for Upper Saloum, has raised concern over the increase of women activists in the country using the plight of rural women to enrich themselves and foster their interests.

“What’s happening in this country today is that we have some educated women who are using the plight of the rural women not only to enrich themselves but also to foster their interests both in and out of the country.”
Bah was speaking last week at the National Assembly during the debate on Government policies and programmes.

“How many of these activists will be willing to do what the National Assembly Members are doing to assist the rural women? ... All these women activists are propagandists claiming to be fighting for the rural women in this country and this must be addressed.”

He pointed out that women activists have used this to build expensive houses. “The National Assembly should put a stop to this because we are representatives of the people and nobody will use our rural women to enrich themselves.”

Fatoumatta Jahumpa Ceesay, Nominated Member and a women activist countered that Gambian women are been insulted. She said women have the right to champion the course of their less fortunate folks. “We have equally seen others forming political parties using that to enrich themselves,” she argued.