C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"BG Greer, PhD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:14:08 EST
In a message dated 10/30/02 6:54:35 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>But you have a 5% chance of being wrong.  I'm gearing up for my comps this
>Friday, and of course one of the questions will be on Biostatistics.
>
>beth >t

Only if you are using inferential statistics. Most stats Kyle was talking
about are descriptive stats. And, (this is a technical point for Beth the OT
for her Biostat question) the 5% relates to the level of chance. For example,
if I find the mean salary difference between groups are statistically
significant, that indicates only that the difference in the two salaries
could be found by chance only 5% of the time. An infinitesimal distinction,
but important, nonetheless.

    Another example is the almost perfect correlation between ministers
salary in New York State and wine production in California.

Bobby