VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 01:02:49 -0600
7bit
From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Rachael,

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is not as simple as desired.
In the United States, there are two technologies used to conduct cellular
telephone transmissions.  One is the system known as Code Division
Multiple Access (CDMA) and the other is the Global System for Mobile
Communications (GSM).  In general, CDMA is used in the U.S. Japan, and
some middle-eastern countries.  GSM is used everywhere else in the world.
Most Americans have cell phones with CDMA technology.  The major service
providers using CDMA are Verizon and Sprint.  Some other carriers use GSM
or are in the process of converting their systems to GSM so the number of
GSM users in America is growing and CDMA users are declining.  Hence, a
"accessible" cell phone designed for a specific cellular technology
cannot work with the other technology.  For example, the recent
announcement of the Toshiba 4050 designed by Audiovox and offered by
Sprint is CDMA technology and does not work with GSM systems.  On the
other hand, software that can be purchased to work on Nokia phones
produced by two European companies only works with GSM systems.

If you live in or near a large city like I do, there is a wide selection
of providers using a range of cellular technologies.  Others may have a
more limited choice of providers and technologies.  Therefore, before
providing any specific advice beyond that of general information about
technologies and software, it would be necessary to know more about where
you live, the mobile telephone services desired, and the companies that
could serve your needs before suggesting a specific access solution.

Kelly