Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:03:13 +0900
From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 09:11  AM, William Schnell wrote:

> I am one of those who do not believe that paleo is the same as low
> fat. My experience is that enough fat is
> necessary.
>
> I eat as much salt as I like, but use Celtic or RealSalt brands.
>
> William

Hi, I go with William on these. You have hit on two of the more
controversial points within paleo, salt and fat. I eat a very high fat
diet and love it. It also does not seem to make me gain weight. I have
held constant for a year and a half on paleo. Lots of fat helps with
carbo cravings too. I eat a fair amount of carbs in fruits and veggies
sometimes, but am usually low carb. I don't think I could do it low
carb and low fat at the same time!

Salt is very controversial on this list, if you check the archives you
will find several extended conversations about it. For myself, I don't
worry much about salt, I figure anyone smart enough to chip flint tools
(try it sometime!) is smart enough to carry around a bag of salt. It is
paleo enough for me. But some on the list disagree, of course, and I am
not about to say they are wrong.

As for cost, I buy the cheapest cuts of meat, and boil them for nice
soups a couple times a week, they last several meals as left overs.
Ground meats are cheap too. Turkey is very cheap compared to steak or
pork, usually. Look around and compare prices, there are big
differences between meats and between stores.

Fresh fruits are not so expensive if you avoid the exotic and off
season ones. They help with variety and carbohydrate cravings too.

For me the big expense is nuts. I buy a couple cans a week for snacks,
and they are really expensive here. I don't eat junk foods much, or in
restaurants, so I count the expense off against those and don't worry
too much about it.

I have not found paleo to be expensive, because I mostly stopped
drinking alcohol, stopped eating junk food, and stopped eating in
restaurants. These save me so much money that I probably spend less on
paleo than I did before. My general health and well being are much
better too, well worth whatever I have spent in money.