From:
Andy Ryder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Ryder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 22:53:44 -0000

Dear Listmates

Just to say once again, many thanks for all your supportive, helpful, and informative responses. (All 29 of them).

Many people said that they drank Tropicana orange juice with NO problem, although one said they had a bit of difficulty with the extra acidity of the calcium one, and a couple of people said it made them VERY ILL.

Some people felt it could have been JUST the acidity which upset me, which I agree could be a possibility (but would that make your bowels bleed?)! (I AM over 10 years diagnosed and a strict adherer)..

The general consensus of opinion was that citric acid WAS gluten free although I have many comments on this which I will post below:-

"Citric acid (in the U.S.) is made from corn. I can't have corn, and get major reactions from anything with added citric acid. Many canned goods contain it (tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.) ...

> If you are reacting to corn, be advised regular table salt also contains corn (as a food modifier). I use kosher salt because of it -- sea salt is another alternative. Of course, since many processed foods have added salt, I can't eat them, either.
>
> The malic acid I unsure of ... I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it's made from corn, too (I'd have to look it up)."
"Citric acid (in the U.S.) is made from corn. I can't have corn, and get major reactions from anything with added citric acid. Many canned goods contain it (tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.) ...

> If you are reacting to corn, be advised regular table salt also contains corn (as a food modifier). I use kosher salt because of it -- sea salt is another alternative. Of course, since many processed foods have added salt, I can't eat them, either.
>
> The malic acid I unsure of ... I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it's made from corn, too (I'd have to look it up)."
"I tried Minute Maid OJ with calcium and thought I would die. ..........I
don't know why....I drink Minute Maid Original exclusively..........J"
"According to Gluten-Free Living magazine, Summer 2002, citric acid is gluten
free even if fermented from wheat.  I hope you'll keep trying new things, you
could ask the list first...."
"I was sick & quite discouraged for months without explanation,
then I started taking stuff out of my diet to try and figure
out what the heck was going on.  Guess what!  Tropicana (without calcium)
was causing me all that problem!  I figured I just couldn't tolerate
orange juice.  I still think that might be it.  Anyway I won't
have it again!"
"As documented in the last issue of Gluten Free Living, citric acid is gluten free.

Limited diets are not healthy diets. If you severely restrict your diet out of
fear of eating anything new you will almost certainly be malnourished with regard
to some nutrients, at cost to your overall health and longevity."
"Citric acid is not necessarily gluten free; it can be made from
wheat or other gluten containing grains. (and commonly is made
from such in other countries, and since most US food ingredients
appear to be bought from the lowest bidder...)"
"Citric acid, if it comes from the US is usually made from corn;  and is
gf.  If it comes from another country, it can have gluten in it."
"Hi, it could be the orange juice itself, as the citric acid is hard on the
stomach, especially when one has a weakened stomach in the first place with CD.
I have not drank any citrus fruit juices for years and must say that I am
very much improved because of it.  I use carrot, cranberry, peach
juice.  My son finds the same thing, we also do not dare ingest grapefruit,
orange, tangerine, etc. there again it is the acid that does it.
Just my suggestion!"
"If corn bothers you, citric acid in the US is mostly made from corn. IT bothers me too. "
"This from delphi forums:
According to GF Living, which is a publication that researches issues
like this, citric acid is not a problem--it is always GF. First of all,
in the US citric acid is NOT made from wheat, the reason being that
wheat does not make a good product. According to the scientists quoted,
even IF citric acid were made from wheat--as it may be outside the US
(and even then unlikely)--in the chemical process of making it, "the
gluten molecule is totally obliterated."
It just may be that either your body just doesn't like something in that
juice. All of our reactions do not necessarily have to be gluten-related."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------"Below is a response to a query about citric acid that I received from Tate
& Lyle Citric Acid. I believe they are the largest citric acid producer in
the world, with production in various parts of the world.  It's not a
definitive answer, but I think you should be okay with the Orange Juice you
mentioned. I don't have any information about Malic acid or Calcium
Hydroxide.:

        Subject:    RE: FW: Website: Citric Acid Production

I am not aware of any companies that use wheat, barley or rye as a
carbohydrate source for their fermentation.  However, I can only speak with
100% certainty as to our production methods.

J. Michael Segraves
Product Manager
Tate & Lyle Citric Acid
ph:  217-421-2591
fax:  217-421-4743
email:  [log in to unmask]"
"I had a reaction to that too.  I think my stomach reacts badly to orange
juice - especially when it's empty.  Even regular orange juice I dilute a
lot.  But Tropicana really bothered me."
"would you be drinking from a carton that has been glued together?? or a
plastic carton?  If you are consuming products from a paper carton with
glue, you may be consuming contaminated beverages due to the glue used to
hold the darned thing together.... I too drink tropicana, but only from
their plastic jugs."
Many thanks to you all again and I will also send again Robin's previous summary on Citric Acid (which I didn't know he had done..

Regards

Carole