From:
Lowell Pepper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 16:12:22 EST

I have had GI troubles for several years and finally was diagnosed with
celiac disease. This was about a year ago. I have had doubts this was an
accurate diagnosis. I'd like our reader's opinion and /or comments on this.
These are my reasons for having doubts. I traveled in the Far East and South
America and the Caribbean for many years. During this time I often has
dysentery and several times had to be treated for amoebas of the intestine. I
am able to eat products containing gluten and/or flour products and it does
not SEEM to have any affect on my GI system. I can't find a pattern.
According to medical manuals "Tropical Sprue" behaves much the same as Celiac
disease i.e. flattened villi, anemia, weight loss and loose floating stools
and common among people in the area of the world I have named.   I have all
these symptoms and had a biopsy to confirm the Drs. diagnosis. The difference
is in the treatment. Celiac disease as we all know means avoiding all foods
with gluten. Tropical Sprue is treated with antibiotics. About six weeks ago
I was treated with a broadbased antibiotic " Ciprofloxacin" for a urinary
infection. Since then I have noticed my bowel habits have changed drastically
from a loose poorly formed stool to a darker solid stool. In addition I am no
longer gassy and usually have only one or two BMs a day. Contrast that with
loose stools and multiple BM's per day. I doubt my doctor will put much
credence in this observation. What do you all think? What would you
reccommend? Thx in advance for anyone who cares to offer an  opinion.  LP