From:
Andi DesJardins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:08:17 EDT

Hi all...

In all I received 31 replies to my question.  Thanks for the quick response!
I had to break this summary into 2 parts because it was too long.

=============

Many of you guided me to a website:

<A HREF="http://www.1-888-inn-seek.com/gluten.cfm">http://www.1-888-inn-seek.com/gluten.cfm</A>

This site lists 115 B&Bs that cater to celiacs.  The complier of this list is
a travel writer and celiac sufferer.

One person who sent this link also wrote:

"One word of caution, though.  I have stayed at inns I found through them
that were accomodating in that they didn't give me anything with gluten, however
nor did they find substitutions.  So I often found myself starving by 10 am
(usually a rarity when staying at a B&B)."

=============

One person pointed out gluten-free vacations being offered through
Glutenfreeda (this one sounds like TONS of fun!):

"This summer, June and August, we are offering complete gluten-free vacations
here on beautiful San Juan Island in Washington state.  The vacations are 5
nights and include lodging, all gourmet, gluten-free meals and a scheduled
activity each day like Whale Watching, Sea Kayaking, Sailing and more.  Each
evening will be a gourmet
gluten-free dining experience with themed meals such as French Bistro,
Italian Cuisine, Pacific Northwest Barbecue and more. If you would like more
information, please visit <A HREF="www.glutenfreeda.com">www.glutenfreeda.com</A>."

=============

Another person told me about a dude ranch that caters to celiac:

Two Bars Seven Ranch
307-742-6072
email: [log in to unmask]
<A HREF="http://www.twobarssevenranch.com/">www.twobarssevenranch.</A><A HREF="http://www.twobarssevenranch.com/">com </A>=============

Hi Andrea. I know what you mean. I just attended a two-day convention where I
was told weeks ahead that they would accommodate my diet and that they would
be in touch with me for details before the event. No contact was made and
there was very little that I felt safe eating. I thought breakfast might at least
have some fruit, but there was absolutely nothing that was safe. It was a very
high cholesterol breakfast so maybe it was for the best!:)
I typed in 'celiac bed and breakfast accommodations' on my search engine and
it gave me quite a list of available places -- give it a try.

===============

We travel a lot and found that as a rule B&B's will cater to their guests
just as restaurants will.  Ideally, one should let the B&B know when you make the
reservation, but I no longer do that.  Upon arrival, I let them know what I
can eat and have had no problems.  Same with restaurants, although I obviously
seriously limit my choices before I ask.  (I don't bother to ask about obvious
things like beef stew or meatloaf!).  The hospitality industry is trained to
please their guests.  Get brave - and enjoy yourself and your son will too.
Have a great vacation.

=============

do a Google search for .... Gluten Free B&B ....enjoy!

=============

The Thatcher Brook Inn in Waterbury Vermont has an excellent chef that can
take care of breakfast and dinner needs.

the butternut inn in stowe vermont catered to my myriad of allergies when i
was there on my honeymoon in '91... they're also a no pets, and easy on lungs
cleaners kinda place... i LOVED it and would go back in a heartbeat when we can
afford it!!!! it's also in a beautiful place!!!!!!

(end part 1 of 2)

Health & Environment Resource Center
http://www.herc.org