From:
Peggy White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 20:39:09 -0500

Received several warnings concerning lactaid pills and lactaid ice cream -
all are not gf.  Also,
From an "MS, RD" from U of Chicago Hospitals:
  Lactose intolerance is a common effect of celiac disease, due to the
    flatening of the villi and lactase enzyme.  Lactase (enzyme which
    digests lactose) is found at the top of our villi, thus in celiac
    disease, the enzyme has been damaged, and you are unable to digest
    lactose.  However, with time , and gut healing, you should be able to
    incorporate lactose back into your diet.  People with a lactose
    intolerance need to decrease the amount of lactose in their diet,
    consume lactose free products, and supplement the enzyme (Lactase
    caplets) in their diet.

The words "casein intolerance" were improperly used. A milk allergy (casein
allergy) is different than a milk intolerance. An allergy is an immune
response
to an offending protein, which leads to an allergic response (rash, hives,
runny
nose, watery eyes, diarrhea, abdominal pain, etc).  These patients need to
completely avoid all milk proteins, including goats milk, all casein
containing
ingredients, and usually soy milk products (30% of patients are also
allergic to
soy).

Eggs are completely different than milk, they do not contain the same
proteins,
these do not need to be avoided with a lactose intolerance.

I hope this helps. Plese feel free to email me with any other questions.
A good website about allergies is www.foodallergy.org.

Peggy