VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Meijer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 08:09:31 +0200
Hi Colin and All,

Your cautions about issues in learning to see are well taken.
Technology alone will not solve all problems. Retinal implants,
although a great development, can only help with certain eye
diseases. Likewise, the effectiveness of brain implants in
the visual cortex will likely be hampered by a differently
organized "visual" cortex in early blind people. For early
blind people having normal hearing, seeing with sound might be
one remaining option, but indeed mastering the interpretation of
visual information from a camera as now translated into complex
sounds remains a major endeavour. It is for this reason that
The vOICe seeing-with-sound software is currently called the
"Learning Edition", and for the time being we have to remain
very careful about what can be achieved with this approach.
Hopefully, we will know more about this in a few years from
now, depending on the efforts of pioneering blind volunteers.

Best wishes,

Peter Meijer

Seeing with Sound - The vOICe
http://www.seeingwithsound.com/winvoice.htm